Policymakers and regulators continue to discuss ways to promote energy efficiency. And, there are many things that they can do to support energy-efficiency efforts going forward.
The electric power industry has identified five key action areas to help accelerate energy-efficiency gains. Electric companies are working to:
- Create more energy-efficient buildings.
- Promote the development and deployment of more energy-efficient electric (and fossil-fuel) appliances, consumer electronics, and other electric technologies.
- Accelerate the development and use of advanced or “smart” electric meters and infrastructure systems.
- Support development of innovative electric ratemaking and rate design to promote efficiency and provide customers more control over their electric bills.
- Help commercialize plug-in hybrid electric vehicles to improve transportation efficiency, reduce fuel costs, improve the environment, and help reduce dependence on foreign oil.
Adoption of these and other untapped energy-efficiency practices could yield significant savings in total electricity demand by 2030, which in turn could help cut load growth compared to current forecasts.