State Policy Research
Grid Modernization | Efficiency Advocacy | Infrastructure Advocacy | Rate Advocacy | Other EEI Collateral Materials | Other Member Resources
Issue advocacy at the state level has grown in importance as members have entered a new era of state rase cases. EEI has produced an expanding program of published research to support members on key issues.
- EEI Summary of State Regulatory Smart Grid Decisions, August 2011
A table that summarizes 76 decisions by state utility commissions in 24 states on investor-owned utility applications for approval of smart grid programs and projects. Information for each case includes decision date and docket number, approved investment amounts, stimulus funding amounts, cost recovery provisions, dynamic pricing provisions, and other key findings.
- Regulatory and Policy Issues Associated with Smart Grid Implementation , October 2010
This report serves as a primer for understanding state and federal regulatory and policy issues raised by smart grid deployment, including issues related to technology choices, interoperability, cyber security, data collection and privacy, cost recovery, rate design, and tax policy.
- State Regulatory Update: Smart Grid Cost Recovery , October 2009
Summary of state regulatory actions on cost recovery relating to smart grid investment.
- Deciding on "Smart" Meters: The Technology Implications of Section 1252 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005
Plexus Research, September 2006
- Responding to EPAct 2005: Looking at Smart Meters for Electricity, Time-based Rate Structures, and Net Metering
National Economic Research Associates, May 2006
PURPA, as amended by EPAct 2005, directs state regulators to take a new look at time-based rates, interruptible rates, standby or backup rates, and net metering. This report presents the economic principles and policy issues that a Commission needs to consider when evaluating rate options, and provides guidance to regulators on whether to adopt the proposed standards.
- State Regulatory Update: Rate Impact Mitigation Measures
Energy Policy Group, June 2010
Summary and trend analysis of utility and state regulatory activities with respect to mitigation of customer rate increases. Includes abstracts of selected cases from 2005 to mid-2010, including actions that respond to increases resulting from expiration of rate ceilings, the need for new utility investment, and other key drivers.
- Rate Shock Mitigation
The Brattle Group, June 2007
- Retail Electricity Pricing and Rate Design in Evolving Markets
Christensen Associates Energy Consulting, July 2007
- Electric Utilities and Risk Compensation
R.J. Rudden Associates, June 2006
- The Effect of Debt on the Cost of Equity in a Regulatory Setting
The Brattle Group, January 2005
- PURPA: Making the Sequel Better than the Original
The Brattle Group, December 2006
- Why Are Electricity Prices Increasing?
The Brattle Group, June 2006
- Utility Supply Portfolio Diversity Requirements
The Brattle Group, May 2007
Other EEI Collateral Materials
- Electricity 101
This presentation provides an overview of the electricity power industry (updated regularly).
Reports and Studies
Other Member Resources
- State Regulatory Update: Renewables, June 2009
Summary and trend analysis of state regulatory actions on renewables for 2005-09. Includes tables on state RES mandates and state feed-in tariff policies.
- Rate Issues Identification and Trends Analysis Matrix
This matrix identifies important rate issues and analyzes developing trends as reflected in ratemaking decisions and other policy actions taken from the beginning of 2005 through the present.
- Power Poll
Quarterly public opinion research designed to help EEI members understand public opinion on major energy issues.