WASHINGTON (January 11, 2022)
The Edison Electric Institute (EEI) today presented the inaugural Thomas F. Farrell, II Safety Leadership and Innovation Award to Southern Company Gas Chairman, President, and CEO Kim Greene; Ameren Corporation Manager for Corporate Safety and Health Tom Dyson; Dr. Matthew Hallowell; Idaho Power Company; and Quanta Services.
The recipients were selected for the following achievements across five categories:
- Member Company Executive category: Southern Company Gas Chairman, President, and CEO Kim Greene for leading industry efforts on transforming the approach to serious injury and fatality prevention through EEI’s CEO Task Force on Safety.
- Member Company Employee Leader category: Ameren Corporation Manager for Corporate Safety and Health Tom Dyson for his multiple contributions to address longstanding safety issues and challenges.
- Academic/Thought Leader category: University of Colorado’s Dr. Matthew Hallowell for developing the EEI Safety Classification and Learning Model, which serves as an incident classification system that allows EEI member companies to track incidents with the potential to cause serious injuries and fatalities.
- Member Company Project category: Idaho Power Company for its nontraditional approach of combining psychological safety and behavioral safety with practical application of human performance principles.
- Contractor Project category: Quanta Services for its Capacity Model, which approaches industry safety challenges by actively addressing serious injuries and fatalities through controls and employee engagement.
Named after former Dominion Energy Chairman, President, and CEO Tom Farrell, who passed away in April 2021, the award recognizes the contributions of leadership and innovation to the advancement of safety in the energy industry. Recipients of the award are selected by a panel consisting of leadership from the labor, contractor, and academic communities; regulatory agencies; and EEI senior leadership.
“Tom Farrell was an exceptional leader and a visionary for our industry, whose many priorities included health and safety policies and technological innovation,” said EEI President Tom Kuhn. “Tom shaped the future of our industry through his unwavering commitment and dedication to the well-being of all Americans and by helping lead the industry’s transition to a clean energy future that will benefit our customers and our communities. The winners are tremendously deserving of this prestigious award, which honors a titan of our industry and a dear friend.”
“I commend each of these award winners for their continued leadership on workforce safety and innovation and congratulate them for being named as the Thomas F. Farrell, II Safety Leadership and Innovation Award recipient,” said Dominion Energy Chair, President, and CEO Robert M. Blue. “Tom’s innovative solutions and commitment to safety have changed the industry’s landscape and directly benefited our workforce and our customers. I know Tom would be proud to see each winner presented with this award.”
Farrell served as Dominion Energy’s chairman, president, and CEO from 2007 to 2020. EEI will present the Thomas F. Farrell, II Safety Leadership and Innovation Award on an annual basis.