- Total installed generating capacity in the United States was 1,229,482 megawatts (MW) as of December 31, 2020, an increase of 16,898 MW over year-end 2019 capacity totals.
- Investments in wind and solar energy accounted for 26,299 MW or 75 percent of approximately 35,000 MW of electricity capacity additions in the United States in 2020.
- A total of 9,600 MW of coal generating capacity was retired in 2020.
- In 2020, total U.S. electricity generation was 4,009,085 gigawatt-hours (GWh)—a decrease of 2.9 percent from total generation in 2019.
- U.S. investor-owned electric companies accounted for 1,350,672 GWh, or 33.7 percent, of total U.S. electricity generation.
- Electricity generation at independent power producer-owned plants totaled 1,868,313 GWh, accounting for 46.6 percent of the total electricity generation in the United States in 2020.
Sources of Electric Generation (by type of ownership)